Minahil Aslam (Interview)

Name: Minahil Aslam
Nickname: Mano (Not that I’d like any reader to remember it :P )
D.O.B: July 19th 1992
Favorite dish: Fettuccini Alfredo Pasta <3
Give us a brief introduction about yourself?
 Born and raised in a military background I have moved around a lot throughout Pakistan. I have seen different places, met different people and I would say it has made me into who I am today. People might categorize me as in introvert but when you get to know me I am the exact opposite.
Study/professional background?
Like I mentioned earlier I have moved around a lot so most of my schooling has been from The City School in different cities. When we finally settled in Lahore I did my A levels from Lahore Grammar School Defence and currently I am doing BS from Lahore School of Economics and am in my Sophomore year.

How did you got into photography stuff? 
Cameras ALWAYS inspired me. My dad used to have an old Yashica and I remember sneaking it out of his cupboard to take photos and then getting bummed out when seeing 30 on the reel count which meant the roll had ended. I started taking pictures as a passion when I bought my first 7.2 Mp Digital camera and since then there has been no turning back. Exploring DSLR, lenses, I literally go in a trance whenever I enter a camera shop. Its just so amazing. Through photography I found a way of expressing myself and it has opened a whole new dimension of seeing things for me. I have had it all from that Plastic Barbie camera in the 90s to my DLSR now.
What type of photography attracts you the most?
There is no particular kind, it’s about capturing that moment. The one you know won’t come back. Be it portraits, candid shots, street photography. Every picture has a story which cannot be missed.
Inspirations?
Inspiration enters my life from different wide open doors, if I was would sum up all the sources in one word, it will definitely be "Splendor”. I could say that my inspirations or motivation are my experiences in life. It may be reading a book, travelling and get connected with different cultures, getting lost in cities and meeting new people are the sources that inspires me the most. The way I see Inspiration for me comes from the fact that I wake up and am still alive and breathing. As long as I can do that...I can take on the world and I try reflecting that in my photography.
What else are your hobbies except photography?
I love reading, writing and travelling
Would you like to have interns with you? Yes maybe, I have a few friends who are amazing photographers and working together is always more fun, more learning.
Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of? 
At this moment I am a very enthusiastic Imran Khan supporter. I would be without a doubt Mr. Khan.
Was photography your passion?
Love for photography has been in me for as long as I remember. They say ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’ I couldn’t agree more. Photography evokes a sense of fervor in me. It is a very calming thing to do; I love to capture a moment in time-. It seems to do something for your memory I can look at a picture from 5 years ago that I took and still remember everything that happened. Every little detail. It is amazing.

What kind of shoots do you do most?
I love doing outdoor shoots; nature is the best set for photography with all the props included.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use?
And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too. I use a Nikon D-90 with Kit lens 18-108, 18-200 amazing for landscape photography and for portraits my personal favourite 50mm f1.8. Though I believe it’s really not in the gear it’s in your head, it’s your perception that makes you click. As for editing software I’ll be honest I am not that savvy, only recently I have started using Adobe Lightroom and I am still learning Photoshop.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family?
Everyone has been very supportive. My parents specially my mom, they appreciated my work and encouraged me to carry on with it.
Any person you would like to say thank to? 
There isn’t one there are so many. My friends who constantly kept telling me I need to put up my photography on a public forum for everyone to see what I am capable of. Hafsa, Usama, Omar (Yes, that’s Omar K Photography), Maham, Mansoor you guys are awesome! Sir Dody, who has been an amazing teacher. Thank you ALL of you.
Best event you have covered till now?
I don’t really cover events commercially but if I was to pick one I think it was the birth of my little nephew, Ramin. Each picture from that day is priceless.
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work? 
Not exactly from work but I was in hospital once on a wheelchair and a random guy came up to me and said “Aap Minahil Aslam Photography haina? I am your huge fan.” That was funny and flattering at the same time since it was a hospital.
What are the other goals you have?
I want to graduate right now and somehow pass Math, Haha! Apart from that at this point I want to contribute to spreading social awareness among people in our society. There is so much going on to which we are oblivious and lately I have come to realize the power of the people specially the youth. I want to use that to create a positive impact on our society.
Advise for beginners?
Keep working towards what you believe in. People might criticize you but never let that bring you down. Knowing what you want in life is huge blessing. Aim and shoot!
Where do you see yourself in next few years? 
Having my own studio with awesome gear. Also, maybe being a journalist. I believe the media is really free and I support that but I also think it should deliver its freedom positively so I would probably pursue writing in Journalism.
Any message for your fans? 
Fans? Wow, Haha. I would like to Thank them for their amazing response. I really didn’t expect putting my work on a facebook page would get me SUCH overwhelming response. All the messages I get keep me going. I’d just say, follow your dreams. That’s what I am doing.
Thoughts on lespectra.
You guys are doing an amazing job promoting the Young talent of Pakistan. It is very motivating knowing that we are the future and we are being appreciated. A huge shoutout to Lespectra. Woooh!

5 comments:

  1. Amazing interview! You'll make it big for sure InshAllah! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomee Minahil...Keep it up :), best of luck for a Bright Future :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is ACTUALLY really cool.
    I hope you manage to pass Maths then. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are amazing clicker, that's your miracle on this world part =D

    ReplyDelete