Nataliya Najib Khan (Interview)


Name: Nataliya Najib Khan
Nickname: None that I’d like to announce here ;)
D.O.B: April 13th, 1983
Favorite dish: Probably my favorite ever menu is the typical Lahori breakfast of Halwa Puri with Aloo Chanas. Yum.
Give us a brief introduction about yourself?
 Born and raised in various parts of Pakistan, I currently live with my husband and 2 year old daughter in the suburbs of Seattle. I spend my time taking lots of pictures for myself and clients, enjoying the gift of motherhood, blogging about life in general and missing my family back home.
Study background?
I did my Bachelors in Computer Science from FAST in Islamabad.
How did you got into photography stuff?
I grew up watching my dad’s love for photography so it was in my genes but I didn’t realize that till much later. I have always believed in the importance of freezing our memories but it was only in the last 5 years after I got married and moved to Seattle that I was inspired to make somewhat of a profession of this. My husband bought me first DSLR and since then I have not looked back. I love this hobby and profession because it gives us the power to look through that viewfinder and find what looks beautiful to you and just click. It lets us remember memories and moments. And to be able to give others the gift of beautiful memories is one like no other.  
What type of photography attracts you the most? 
My biggest passion in photography is finding beauty in ordinary every day moments, and currently I am extremely inspired by lifestyle sessions. Where people are captured in their own environments, their houses, their own city, doing what they usually do, unposed.

Inspirations?
 Too many. Life in general, Beauty, Nature, Love, Movies, Music, Pinterest, Blogs, Photography, Books, People, Babies, Happiness, Creative people. There is inspiration all around us really.
What else are your hobbies except photography?
Oh too many. Whenever I get some time free I love reading, crafts, Skype-ing with my family, catching up with friends, decorating our home, making and editing family videos and more recently writing about life at my blog.
You’ve got fame in a short time span how do you fell about it?
 Fame? That is a big word but I am extremely honored that my photography page is followed by so many and by the growing amount of personal messages I receive on a regular basis. It is truly humbling and an honor.
Would you like to have interns with you?
 Lol. Yes at some point I would. I take too many pictures and it would be awesome to have someone help in the post processing.
Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of? 
Erm, I’m not much into fashion or glamour photography but on one of my trips to Pakistan, I would love to do a full series on faces of our country. Just regular people that make up the majority. From shopkeepers, to teachers, to small business owners, to street kids, to doctors, to nurses, to cooks, gardeners, the working class, beggars, etc etc. Each face has a story and I want to collect all these stories.
Was photography your passion?
Not always but when I held the camera in my hand and saw magic through the viewfinder, it became one very fast.
What kind of shoots do you do most?
I have mostly done on location portrait sessions of people, babies, kids, families, couples. Only recently have I started being more open to doing events too.


Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use?
And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too. It might seem funny but I still own one of the Rebel series cameras from Canon. I have the T2i and switch between the 18-55 mm, the 50 mm 1.8 and the 55-250 mm lenses. I have been planning to upgrade for a while but believe it’s more about the eye than the camera so keep delaying it for a better time. I used to edit in Photoshop Elements till only the last month when my husband wanted me to try Lightroom 4. I’m in love with how easy it makes your workflow and how powerful it is in the options it offers. So yes that is my current tool.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family?
Each one of them. But my husband who buys me all my gearJ and who listens to all my ideas and plans and motivates me always, and who also babysits my baby when I have sessions or editing to finish. Other than that my mom, dad and sisters have always inspired me by giving ideas and always encouraging me. My youngest sister, Waliya Najib is also a super talented photographer from Islamabad, and we constantly brainstorm ideas with each other and show each other our work for feedback.
Any person you would like to say thank to?
My husband for being such a huge support in everything I do, always. And my baby girl for giving me a new way to look at life and for being such an awesome model:)
Best event you have covered till now? 
Like I said, I have only recently started doing events, so yeah, next time you ask me I’ll have a better answer!
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work? 
Sadly I can’t think of any very interesting story. Most embarrassing moments the clients don’t find out about like thinking I’m taking my best shots ever and realizing they were all blown out and I didn’t check on time :p. I have many of those.
What are the other goals you have? 
Living in the US, I really want to do something that bridges the gap between our countries. Not sure how to do it yet, but I truly believe there is beauty in both cultures and we have so much to learn from each other.
Advise for beginners?
To know your reasons for wanting to make it in this field. To not worry too much about your gear, pictures are made in your hearts and in your eyes. If you are good at it, it will show in whatever camera you have. You can always buy gear, but the eye and the creativity cannot be bought.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
Taking even more pictures iA!
Any message for your fans?
I just want to thank them. It is an honor that people follow my page and blog and leave such sweet messages. I just hope that my pictures and words inspire whoever they reach to make the most of your lives and to find happiness and satisfaction in your circumstances. I truly believe our lives are as happy as we make them to be.
Thoughts on lespectra? 
I have to be honest, I only heard of them when I was contacted for this interview but as soon as I clicked on the link I was mesmerized and sad that I hadn’t heard about this before. It is a brilliant idea and I thoroughly enjoyed reading all those profiles. Creativity and creative people are inspiring and this is a beautiful place to bring them all together. Congratulations on this project.

5 comments:

  1. great person and beautiful work :)

    Always a delight to see her work or read bits and pieces of her life copings .. may you prosper in every step of life .. best!

    --Asma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much. Same to you Asma. Love hearing from you always. Xoxo

      Delete
  2. She is an amazing photographer...absolutely love her work.

    Sumera naveed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from a super mom photographer, it means a lot. Thanks Sumera! Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Mind blowing work mam , full of Creativity . one thng interestng i get lil bit upset on knowing tht u r married lol :P anyhow forget it em ur big fan :)
    May Allah shower His blessing on u n ur Family :)

    ReplyDelete