Uloomi Karim Shaheen (Interiew)

Name: Uloomi Karim Shaheen
Nickname: Nuno/ loomi/ loomz/ loomster/ loominati/ monsta (Gilbert calls me that) and a lot more
D.O.B: 26th march
Favorite quote: Pain is temporary, pride is forever
Inspirations: Bashir Ahmed, GSP, Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson, Cain Velasquez, Bass Rutten. Every one of them for a specific reason
Study background? 
I did my O-levels from OPF Boys college H-8/4 in 2008 and A-levels from Beacon house Bannigala in 2010.. Currently in Bahria University, doing BSCS
Uloomi a name/ a guy everyone is scared of after the VCL MMA championship, how do you feel about it? 
haha scared? I don’t think so but… it feels good that I have earned and secured a place of mine in the eyes of the Martial Art community in Pakistan.
MMA a dangerous sport, what made you go for it? 
I’ve been a Martial Artist since I was 6 or 7. Combat sport always fascinated me and attracted me towards itself. At first I got scared when I watched UFC fights on youtube, but then I realized that THIS is what I really want to do now.

How long have you been learning for? 
It’s been around 4 years now
How much dedication, getting your ass kicked or other things are required to stand at the rank where you currently are? 
Oh a lot of hard work and sacrifices have brought me where you see me right now. As I play in a band as well, managing studies and then band and then fighting is hectic. Tight schedule for the entire day and then you gotta work in the studio and cherry on top, you have to go train at the end of the day. It takes a LOT of dedication and motivation to keep things going and keep them rolling smoothly.
What do you think is MMA a successful sport in Pakistan and people go for it or is it still in its startup stages? 
MMA is still growing in Pakistan. We have a lot of talented and strong fighters but all they need is exposure and a reason to fight for. Whatever PFC and VCL are doing for MMA in Pakistan is amazing but what we shouldn’t forget is that we need to keep growing. We cannot and must not stop growing. Another MAJOR thing, which I think, can help and contribute in spreading the sport across the country is media. Media has a very big impact on our people’s minds, if local channels start promoting the sport then I don’t think anything can stop MMA from prospering in the country.
Any suggestions for the people who are interested in learning MMA?
Only one thing. Hard work pays off, I’ve witnessed and experienced it. Train hard and smart and you’ll grow as a fighter and most importantly, as a person.
You are not only a fighter but a guitarist as well and play guitar for Islamabad’s best underground rock band, tell us a bit about the type of guitar you play and about your band as well? 
I paly bass guitar and also do backing vocals for my band; which is called ‘DISSBELIEF’. We are an alternative metal band who are the first ever band to give and OST to a movie. (Siyaah – The movie). We have released 5 singles and 3 music videos so far and are planning and working on a bilingual album with 4 urdu and 4 english tracks in it. Apart from that I’m assisting my lead guitarist at our home studio as an assistant production engineer. There’s a lot more about the band but I think this much is enough haha

Along with playing guitar at a concert, you are also known for your funny poses you do on the event. Do you think that you are poser? 
Hahaha poses? I think you’re talking about the pictures in every concert’s album. Well, I’m not only a musician but I’m a performer and an entertainer as well. I love to do silly things and do funny stuff on stage which makes people laugh. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why people love me (some do, not everyone :p) and honestly I think we don’t have anyone like ME in the industry who’d go crazy with the bass, head bang on almost every song, make people scream and pump the crowd. If that is what you call a poser, HELL YEAH I am one.
Recently there was an announcement on your band page that the vocalist of the band left, what do you have to say about that and what are the alternate plans? 
Uhh yeaahh.. That… Well what can I say about it. Thing is that he has to go abroad to study so we were looking for a new guy who’d come and fill in, but fortunately we found out that he is going to leave in September. So we aren’t looking for any alternate plans, at least not right now.
Any other interests that you have?
Only one thing and that is my jeep. I’m obsessed with jeeps and that’s why I forced my parents to get me one too. Not a rich spoilt child but yes I got what I wanted.
Any upcoming projects by you or your band?
Like I mentioned earlier, we are working on more originals and a bilingual album which we’re hoping to release by the end of this year or so.
Any last words or message for your fans?
All the lovely people who look up to me and think of me as a “something”, whatever you do it’s your decision. Work hard, work smart and don’t ignore the needy. Do what you believe in and do what you believe will make your parents and your country proud. And keep supporting and keep praying, we need lots of prayers. Pray to Allah to grant us strength to stay true to ourselves and to work hard.
Any comments about lespectra?
I would like to thank lespectra for giving me this opportunity to talk so much and let my thoughts out like this. Thank you so much for helping in promote MMA and music in Pakistan. This is just amazing. Please keep the wheels rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment