Wajahat Ahmad Khan (Interview)


Name: Wajahat Ahmad Khan
Nickname: Waji
D.O.B: 03/11/1989
Favorite dish: Daal Mash and the one from a Truck Dhabaa
Give us a brief introduction about yourself?
I'm just a normal person who has had a passion for photography since the early days of my childhood. It all started off with a Kodak camera that was given to me, I would take pictures of anything ranging from people to wildlife. This then progressed to a larger variety of camerawork when we hit the digital era. With this I started to develop an interest in film making too. I have worked with many artistes and helped to create music videos to the highest quality. Recent clients include Uzair Jaswal, Fortitude, and The Northern Lights. However I also like to produce documentaries and other informative short films.
Study/professional background?
Did my A Levels, after that BBA in Marketing and finally MBA in Marketing.
How did you got into photography stuff?
It all started off with my then ‘fantastic’ camera. My father bought it for me . I was in absolute awe of this as I have also seen my father taking snapshots. I remember taking my little camera to school trips and family gatherings. Later on in my amateur photography life my father would teach me how to get the best of pictures and always encouraged me to get bigger and better in this art form.
What type of photography attracts you the most?
I love taking pictures of landscapes and my main goal is to keep this natural beauty under its own lights and in the most artistic way possible so that my audience can share these unique moments that mother nature offers. There is this evolution in my craft first it was just photography but my images told a story. With videography I am able to tell stories with motion. I am very fortunate to utilize photography motion and audio in my work.

Inspirations?
Landscape photographer that I take inspiration from is John Parminter
Two film maker inspirations I have are Christopher Nolen and Bilal Lashari.
If I was to inspire anyone in photography .. I would say you need a little bit of raw talent, however it doesn't need to be oozing out you. You must be willing to work hard which is where your inner passion cries out. Don't forget that whatever your art form you will evolve in time
What else are your hobbies except photography?
I am a very sociable person and find that families and friends are very important in my life. My hobbies include sports and reading books but generally making sure I share a considerable amount of time with my nearest ones.
You are not only a photographer but you shoot videos as well tell us a bit about videography?
Alongside my passion for photography I always loved making videos. My classmates would love seeing my creative side when I started making videos for the some of my memorable days of my life. As well as the more serious ones, I have been told many times that it isn't just about the way I make a film , but the way it is created, how it is all put together in a form that make the audience understand.
What is fun? Shooting videos or taking photographs?
I’d say both are fun but videos require more work as compared to photography.
You’ve got fame in a short time span how do you fell about it?
I’m a very humble person and I thank all the people including my fans that have supported me comprehensively throughout my life. They keep pushing me to work harder and hopefully get to the next level.
Would you like to have interns with you?
Yes, in a few months’ time I’ll be setting up my office and there I’ll keep interns and train them.
Was photography your passion?
Yes, it always has been and will remain. Even when I had a film camera, when I didn’t know any technicality about photography I would love to take pictures of people and landscapes.

You recently worked with uzair jaswal for his video, how was your experience working with him?
It was a real good experience. Uzair Jaswal is one the Islamabads finest with a large fan base. Little do people know that the video was done in 2 days. One day of shooting followed by one day of dedicated editing. I am extremely impressed with the outcome of it and again had positive feedback by the artist and fans alike.
What kind of shoots do you do most?
For videos I prefer music video and documentaries.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use? And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too?
Well currently using Canon 5D Mark 3 and have a Canon 60D as a secondary camera and yes a Go Pro Hero 3. Can’t go into the list of lenses as they are A LOT. So as per my reviews all three camera are really good. 5D Mark 3 is the best DSLR on the market which takes amazing pictures and captures brilliant videos. Go Pro Hero 3 is an action camera, completely water and shock proof. So u can take it anywhere you like, even underwater. For editing I use Adobe Premiere and Adobe after Effects. These 2 software’s in my opinion are really good, and really easy to use.
Which Pakistani singer’s video would like to direct for free?
Atif Aslam
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family?
My father, sadly he passed away almost a year ago but his presence will always remain. During the first couple of years of making photos and films, I would always ask my father to give his unbiased opinions on all my work. My father always started off with his constructive criticism followed by positive remarks. The thing I loved about him was that even with his own passion of photography he managed to somehow always make me ponder about how the audience would perceive my work, which would result in making me work more effectively. My big brother and my compassionate mother have now become the driving force behind my success and have been supporting me in all my endeavors through thick and thin.
Any person you would like to say thank to?
If I started naming names the list would never end. So again I am going to be humble and thank all those who have helped me throughout this roller-coaster of a ride. Thank you for your faith and your support in everything I have done and will do in the near future. There is one person though i would like to give a special thank you to, won't give out the name though. She has been with me through thick and thin and helping me out throughout all my struggles She always used to bring me right back up whenever i was down. You've helped me become the man i am today. Thank you for being there with me and i hope it stays that way.
Best event you have covered till now?
The best event I covered was of Bohemia when he came to Lahore. We were with him throughout his stay in Pakistan, took him shopping as well. So it was fun.
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work?
I wouldn’t call it embarrassing but whenever we are shooting outside we are bound to get the crowd gathered around us. So every move we make is being watched. And the crowd gets involved in the scene as well. Hooting as we finish a shoot and booing if we do a take and finally clapping when we say “It’s a wrap” or “Pack up”
What are the other goals you have?
My goal is to involve more people in to this work, expand my team, train them and take it even higher. I want to hopefully be a household name.
Advise for beginners?
Learn from your mistakes. You are bound to get negative criticism, but don’t take it to heart. Keep fighting for what you believe in.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
I guess managing my own production house
Any message for your fans?
Thank you for your support and I hope I have fulfilled my promises to you and will continue to do so in the years to come.
Thoughts on lespectra?
A great medium for all sorts of artists, I appreciate the work being done by you to promote artists on an online medium and my best wishes are with you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment