Rabia Arshad (Interview)

Name: Rabia Arshad
Nickname: None that I would like to make public.
D.O.B: 24-07-1987
Favorite dish: Everything except “Gobbi”
Give us a brief introduction about yourself?
Nocturnal. Opinionated. Relentless.
Study/professional background? 
I graduated in Medicine and I am about to start my residency in Surgery soon.
How did you got into photography stuff? 
Camera has always been around me. My father never missed any special moment that he didn’t capture. He always handed me his camera and guided how to take a better shot. We rather held competitions on capturing the same subject and then would compare.” Nah, mine is better”, I would brag and he would appreciate it. In my college days I insisted on a better camera phone because it was handy. I took loads of pictures. Random clicks of EVERYTHING! I never thought of going bigger. And then my husband bought me this DSLR last year and I haven’t put it down since. It opened a whole new dimension of seeing and capturing.
What type of photography attracts you the most?
Candid portraits, street photography, moments of everyday life.

Inspirations?
Pretty much all natural phenomena, empty beaches, silence, solitude, loud music, colors.
What else are your hobbies except photography? 
I love to sketch and paint and travel.
Would you like to have interns with you? 
Well not really. But at some point yes maybe, to share what I have learned.
Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of? 
I am not a celebrity-shot person. I’d love to photograph wolves some time or do some astrography and surreal photography.
Was photography your passion?
Wasn’t, none that I realized but it’s in the list now.
What kind of shoots do you do most?
I love out-doors, on-location, art shoots.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use? And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too? I currently own a canon 60D with 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 USM. Editing software? Well….i shouldn’t be saying this but the fact remains…I use picasa3..i am too plain lazy to learn photoshop.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family?
Everyone. Each one of them, viewed and appreciated my work, advised on how to make it better, shared my duties and my work, telling me every day that I should because I can.

Any person you would like to say thank to?
My husband for buying me gear, motivating me, collecting me stuff to learn from, sharing my work and taking me places and occasions to shoot.
Best event you have covered till now?
I don’t cover events but it isn’t a closed door. May be some time in the future, if I get the itch to click off!
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work? 
On my best friend’s mehndi, I got an idea to take a shot*twinggg*light bulb lights up* I sat down in front of the stage and started composing the shot. I remotely smelled something burning and so did everyone else. Turns out my dress was neatly thrown over mehndi candles and it was starting to smolter. I didn’t actually catch fire but it turned many heads. EMBAAARASSING+funny!;)
What are the other goals you have? 
I really want to get over with my Surgery training asap and to visit Cordova and the Caribbean some time in my life.
Advise for beginners?
You can make great photographs even with a cellphone camera. Gear isn’t all that matters. It depends on how you see things and how you capture them. However mastery of the technical aspects is a must.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
Taking better pictures, doing better surgery.
Any message for your fans? 
Just that I want to thank them for appreciating my work. I am humbled. They motivate me to keep snapping. Allah has made everyone with something special in them. Everyone is talented. Do make a positive use of it.

Thoughts on lespectra?
A commendable effort to appreciate those who are trying to create something new. It was good to read profiles of such young and talented people working in their little circles, inspiring lives and making a difference.

3 comments:

  1. A person i know personally whose destiny came well-defined and YES can agree less you need tht eye which captures well rather thn gear which gear it all up or any softwares to do tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job! and a great shot up there. hope you never let your passions go down even a notch. keep it up man! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys!! Your appreciation keeps me going!

    @Hamadah Arshad; For grinding you to try crazy shots: thanks a bunch:D

    ReplyDelete