Maliha Abbas (Interview)

Name: Maliha Abbas
Nickname: Mala
DOB: 11/11/1995
Favorite quote: Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
Inspirations: No one inspires me.
Tell us a bit about yourself? 
I am a self-taught artist and a photographer. Art and photography is in my blood I guess because my father is a fantastic artist and photographer even though he is not an artist or a photographer by profession. I am a positive person and I believe no one needs a teacher for anything! I mean think about it, everything was created by someone who didnt had a teacher to teach em and thats why i try to figure out things on my own. Allah has blessed us with that ability.
You could be said as an all in one art package, ever got a compliment like this and how do you feel about it? 
I get that a lot actually. I am glad to hear that of course but I do what I love and when you love something you do it to the best of your ability and that’s what I try doing with art and photography.
Is a person born artistic or does he/she develops the skills as the time passes?
Personally I feel that a person is born an artist. Art is a thing that no one can learn and no one can teach. People can help and suggest what to draw and how to draw but art is more than a technique of drawing stuff. I think some parts of art can be learned like drawing but painting and other stuff is a talent that one is born with.
How long have you been drawing, painting or doing any sort of art for? 
Art has been a part of my life since I was a little girl, I actually don’t even remember how long has it been since I fell in love with art.

How long does it take to complete a piece of drawing/sketch? 
I am actually quick with drawing and sketches because I don’t have to wait for anything to dry like while painting so it takes me about 1 hour to come up with a good sketch that I am satisfied with.
What things are needed to end up with a piece of art?
You don’t need good art supply or fine brushes all you need is something to draw or paint with and something to draw or paint on and a creative imagination or an emotion in your heart that will come out on that canvas or piece of paper.
You are quite young and in this age people usually take decisions about their life and future what decision are you going to take or have already took about your future profession?
Something in the field of arts? I am currently finishing high school and I am going to be starting university soon inshaAllah and I will be entering the field of law. I am an artist, always have been and always will be but I want to be a well know, self made artist. I don’t want to go to an art school and learn what I already know.
What’s the best compliment you’ve ever got?
I get compliments about my art and photography like good work and stuff but I think the best one for art was “You will be famous because of your art one day” & best one for photography was “many people own a DSLR now adays, you actually know how to use one.”
Else than the arts related things what are you good at?
I am an ice and roller skater. I am also a bit of a fashion designer, I play a few songs on guitar and I do a few tricks on the guitar as well. I am a poet and I write short stories off n on too. I design and make jewelry, that counts as art as well but a different kind and also I cook but I am best at cooking Chinese so yeah but I try to keep my focus on two things at a time so I don’t really pay attention to all this.


You’re a photographer as well tell us a bit about it?
Photography is more of an hobbie just because I travel a lot and a lot and yes A LOT and so just to capture this beautiful world in my lens, I do photography and also I wanted to practice on people so my friends model for me and some of them are professional models. I started it with my cellphone’s camera, than I starting using my digital camera and finally on my 17th birthday, I got a DSLR.
How long have you been doing photography for? 
I started photography in the end of 2011 but I remember taking a 5-6 month break from it and thn I started it again in the mid of 2012.
Which gear do you use and which gear do you want to get?
I use a Nikon d5000, and I have 2 lens for it. A 18-55mm and a 70-300 mm. I want to buy a Nikon D800 but I think I am not an experienced photographer yet so I am going to buy more lens for Nikon D5000 and practice on it for some time and thn I am going to grab that BIG NIKON.
If you were to rate your photography skills out of 5 how much would you rate them?
2.5 . I have so much to learn and I am trying my best to learn it.
Art vs. Photography?
Without any second thoughts ART!
My favorite question, any interest in cooking and what can you cook the best? 
I love cooking!. I have been cooking since I was a kid. I am best at making Chinese, haleem, biryani and kheer. :D all my favorite :P .
Any last words?
Any last words :P.. that sounds like something someone would ask before killing me! But anyway it was fun answering all these fun questions.
Thoughts on Lespectra:
Le Spectra is doing a great job. All the best to the whole team of Le Spectra and keep up the good work guys.

2 comments: