Bilal Bajwa - President PSA UTM (Interview)


Name: Bilal Bajwa
Nickname: Too many but mostly called Bajwa
D.O.B: March 4th 1990
Favorite quote: Insaan apni shakal se nahi, apnay kaam se pehchana jata hai
Inspirations: My Parents
Study/professional background: Graduate from UofT. Aiming for Graduate school
You are the president of PSA UTM tell us a bit about yourself and PSA. What is PSA and what is its purpose etc?
PSA is a student group that aims to socially engage Pakistani Students from different colleges and universities in an attempt to bring out the Pakistani culture together in a foreign land. We try to bring together students in different types of events, which allows us to network with them while also allowing the students to meet fellow Pakistani students. With that being said, PSA also aims to promote the cultures and traditions of Pakistan in a way where we are not forcing it upon our members but having them embrace it and respect it.
What is needed to be the president of PSA UTM?
Being President of PSA is a fulltime job. I worked several years as an executive of the club before being chosen to become president. To be a PSA president or a president of any club for that matter, one needs to have a vision and be ready for innovation. Change is what we strive upon in this world and as the president of PSA, setting standards is important making sure that you are leading by example. That is the first thing needed to be a president. However, I have always believed that one man cannot bring change, it has to be through a combined effort and I am lucky enough to work with people who understand my vision and help me achieve that.
Do you let PSA effect your studies and how do you manage your studies, work and PSA altogether?
At one point, PSA did have an impact on my studies and work, but it is really critical to maintain a balance that I was able to do throughout my university days. Managing your time is key to a successful combination of doing everything you want and I am glad I have always been able to manage and prioritize my time right.
If someone wants to join PSA UTM then what do they have to do?
Joining PSA is not the hardest thing to do out there. but we do expect everyone to volunteer with us, get to know our organization and how it works. Then they are elected to become executives and become part of the team. we are always welcoming to bright young Pakistanis who wish to become a part of our team.

You guys i.e. PSA UTM keep’s on organizing events for general public and for UFT students. Who comes up with the ideas for these events?
Well, the PSA semi formal and Formal are traditional events that have been going on for many years now. But the local university events that we do are what we usually come up in our meetings. This year however some of the executives came up with brilliant new ideas such as Aisha Qadeer who came up with the idea of doing a networking night for students in the business field and then a Masquerade ball. These were two events never done before by any university PSA and suddenly after we did, some universities followed this trend that we started. We also did a brilliant theatrical play named Wafa-e-Watan which was a brainchild of my internal president Sarah Fasih. It was a fantastic innovative idea and we were thrilled with the response we got.
For the events you or PSA organize, do you get help from your university or any other financial help from around?
We get really minimal funding from the university student union therefore all our events are covered by the ticket prices we set. We are a non-for profit organization hence we try to keep the tickets price to the minimum for all our events. Our mission is always to make it affordable to everyone.
If the concept of PSA ends, what do you think would be the reaction of Pakistani Youth residing in Canada?
I think this concept cannot end, it may evolve over time to something different but we are a student club that works solely for Pakistani students in an effort to make them feel closer to Pakistani culture and promote the social aspect of it. I think PSA does an outstanding job of giving the Pakistani youth an opportunity to meet up with their friends and make friends who come from the same background and culture as most of us do. We live in such a multicultural city; PSA tries to make sure that Pakistan is well represented among the students.
The best event organized by PSA UTM till now?
I would say the Best event was the Formal 2013 that featured Imran Khan and Bilal Khan live in concert. I think it was by far the best-planned event, which was executed to perfection. People walked out the most satisfied they had ever been and we got a lot of recognition for our efforts. I think the event we are planning for May 10th is surely to be at the same level, if not better.
PSA UTM is again organizing an event featuring Bilal khan and some other talented artists across GTA, tell us a bit about it as well when is the event, any difficulties that you guys are facing and what are the expectations?
PSA UTM is organizing a show on May 10th 2013 with the name of ‘UMEED’. We are bringing back Bilal Khan for that show again due to high demand. He was absolutely fantastic in his performance at the PSA FORMAL 2013 so we are doing a show featuring him as the main performer. However, that is not the purpose of the show. Bilal is the main attraction but personally, I am doing this show to promote the local musical talent we have here. Many Pakistani local bands will be performing at this event along with some solo performers and it is sure to be a great night with Bilal Khan in attendance. We have many surprises lined up for this night so I hope to see a great turn out to this event. We expect it to be a sold out event and with tickets priced only at $20, you cannot go wrong with it. I am expecting to promote a lot of young Pakistani local musicians at this event.

Who are the main supporters of this event who are helping you bring Umeed to the public?
Umeed has got a great response from the public and many organizations who have helped our initiative. Our main supporters and sponsors for the event is the Consulate General of Pakistan in Toronto who have come forward in great way to help us out with the show. We are absolutely pleased with the help of Consul General of Pakistani, Mr. Nafees Zakaria and his team for their help. He will be coming to the show to address the youth crowd of our need to help out for the benefit of the Pakistani community living abroad. Really pleased with their help and sponsorship of this event.

PSA has played a great role since it started, by getting all the Pakistani’s living in Canada under one roof. What do you have to say about it?
Like I answered before, our mission is to bring out all the Pakistanis in a setting where they can socialize with their fellow Pakistanis and build good connections that will last a lifetime. I have been able to meet a lot of great people through PSA myself and I am hoping that Umeed represents another opportunity for many to meet fellow Paksitanis that evening.
The funniest guy in your team?
It has to be Ibad. Our first year rep. He comes up with the most genius ideas that we are never able to execute.
Favorite team member and why is he/she your favorite?
Your putting me on the spot with this one. It has to be Aysha Qamar, though. She is always supportive and we have been great friends outside of PSA too so that helps. That does not mean the rest are not my favorite. I am a really strict and mean person to work with sometimes but my team has always accepted my short temper and I love them all for it.
How difficult is it to approach artists and to book them?
It is extremely tough but I have built a great network and connection with many artists and their mangers over the years so it is not as tough now.
How many people are there in PSA team, what are their ranks and who do you think is the best team member?
We have around 15 members now with several outgoing members for next year. I think all of them are great assets to the team so I can’t choose one as the best. As far as it concerns rank, I don’t believe in ranks. I think that everyone in the team is equal and has to be treated equally. We work as a team hence individuality is the last thing we need.

PSA UTM without you?
I think I have done my bit for the organization. I feel that when I leave, my team is ready to take its game to a new unmatched level. I hope that they remember me as someone who did his part and remember me in kind words. I have built a reputation over years and I wish to bow out in style.
You without PSA UTM team?
It just wont be the same without them. we started off as team but soon became like a big extended family and a friends group. The way we gelled together was phenomenal and I am going to miss them when this is all over.
Funniest/embarrassing thing that happened in events organized by PSA UTM?
There have been quite a few actualy. At the semi 2012, the guys who organized it with me would remember that as soon as the semi was done, I disappeared on them . they still taunt me regarding that.
Any upcoming projects, events etc?
Yes there are some big projects in the making. Some massive ones actually and I am hoping for the best. For now full focus is on May 10th and Umeed at UTM.
Any last words?
I am not dieing yet!
Thoughts on Le Spectra?
I think you guys are doing a great job with this. This is a great initiative and I wish you guys all the success for the future. I hope to work with Le Spectra again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment