Khurram Waqar (Interview)


Name: Khurram Waqar
Nickname: kW
DOB: 23rd July, 1975
Favorite quote: Just Do it!
Inpirations: There are too many. As a human being, it starts from my parents and my wife. In terms of guitar, picked it up because of one man only i.e. Slash.
Tell us a bit about yourself?
I am a musician trying to make things work without compromising on my beliefs.... :) Trying to do the best I can do under the circumstances.
Study/professional background?
I have done my Masters in Information Systems Management from Carnegie Mellon University.
How old were you when you started playing guitar and what kind of guitar was that?
I believe it was the winter of 1991. Don’t even ask about my first guitar. It was given to me by a dear friend and the strings were like at least 3 inches above the fret board if not more. But my passion was such that I still played on it and learned how to control my bends. So hats off to it no matter how bad it was.

You are the cofounder of Qayaas, how did it happen and how was Qayaas formed?
I saw Umair perform with his previous band “Silversmoke” in my studio and was impressed with his vocal tone and delivery. I called him up later and there has been no looking back ever since.
What made you offer Umair a place in Qayaas?
His uniqueness and originality. He in my opinion is the only true rock vocalist of this generation and did I forget to mention the most talented.
Your band Qayaas has been awarded and has been nominated in various awards, how do you guys feel getting rewarded for your hardwork?
We have always believed in our work whether we win awards or not. Nevertheless, It is always a very humbling experience when your work is appreciated.
What are your thoughts on the upcoming/underground rock bands in Pakistan?
There is a lot of talent here which just needs to be given the right platform and right grooming. Kids these days pick up an instrument and after playing for a few months start thinking that they have
achieved what they were set out to do forgetting that music is something which you learn constantly and continuously evolve as a musician. When you think you have learnt everything that is the end of it.
How much would you rate your guitaring skills out of 5?
I really can’t rate my own self. All I can say is that I am always looking to improve and there is a lot yet to be learnt.
You along with your band got featured in coke studio, how was your experience being part of coke studio and working with other artists?
It was a good experience.
Normally the vocalist gets the most credit, ever had that feeling of jealousy?
Umair is like my little brother and that will always remain so. I am really proud of him.
Else than rhythms what other positions can you play?
To clarify, I don’t play rhythms. I play everything. In the first album, 99% of all lead/rhythm guitar work and all of the bass has been played and recorded by myself in my studio.
Not only Qayaas but you’ve also been part of many other bands tell us a bit about those bands?
I have been a part of a few bands, namely Fantazia, Entity, Cocytus( my instrumental band in USA) and kNuMB.
Who is that person from the Pakistani music industry who you would like offer a place in Qayaas?
They are already in the band.


Sarmad Ghafoor left Qayaas, can the audience know what was the reason?
He was busy and could not commit time to Qayaas. We wish him all the best.
Else than guitars, did you ever develop any interest in being a vocalist?
I simply do not have that in me and I will not try it either. I love playing the guitar and arranging songs, which I will continue doing.
Any other hobbies else than playing guitar?
None that I can think of.
You have a family as well how do you manage your time like your job, family and Qayaas ?
All the credit for that goes to my wife who supports me through thick and thin not to mention my parents who have been supportive throughout. In terms of the job, yes, I work full time. It is all about
managing your time. So far I have been able to do it. It does get very challenging and difficult at times but I guess that is what life is all about. No complaints whatsoever.
If you get a chance to represent Qayaas in a foreign country, which country would it be?
Anywhere in the world.
Any tips for upcoming guitarists and people who are forming their own band?
Just believe in yourself. Don’t be disheartened by anything and do not try to follow any trends. Make your own trend.
Qayaas would be releasing it’s album soon, any exact or close dates for the release what are your hopes?
We will be releasing singles only and when we have enough of them, we will compile them in an album. Right now, we are working on both English and Urdu songs and plan on releasing 2 songs every month.
Any message for your fans?
We are where we are because of our fans. We love them and wish the best for them. Keep rocking guys and believe in yourself.
Thoughts on Lespectra?
You guys are doing an amazing job in promoting arts and culture which are instrumental in forming and strong and healthy society. Best of luck from my side.






Umair's Interview : http://www.lespectra.com/2013/03/umair-jaswal-interview.html
Shahzad's Interview : Coming Soon
Kamran's Interview : Coming Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment