Maha Shafqat khan (Interview)

Name: Maha Shafqat khan
Nickname:  M, Mk
D.O.B: 14.09.1994
Favorite dish: All sort of junk food =P
Give us a brief introduction about yourself?
I’m basically a Punjabi from Iran origin. I’ve been living in Islamabad since a long time now. Besides photography I love playing tennis and football. When I’m not doing any of this I cook. I’m an amazing cook and if I had not decided to pursue filmmaking and photography as a career I would have definitely become a chef. By nature I’m a very easygoing person but I’m an extremely possessive person.
I am a photographer by – by birth I must say. It’s all inborn.
Study background?
I’m about to give my A-level (A2) exams in may after which I’ll be going to a film school. At the moment my subjects are media studies, English literature and business studies.

How did you got into photography stuff? 
Well basically my dad has been into photography since a very long time, He’s a banker by profession but photography has always been his favorite hobby so ever since I opened my eyes in this world I’ve seen cameras, lenses, projectors, slides all around me so naturally I got attracted to cameras and then photography. I still have the first portrait that I shot; it was of my dad by a Nikon SLR back in 1999. And ever since I’ve been in love with photography.
What type of photography attracts you the most?
Portraiture and nature. Macro photography is something very less people in Pakistan understands and like and it is one of my favorite type. I’ve been working a lot on the macro side.
Inspirations? 
Well for portraits it’s no doubt Mobeen Ansari he’s one hell of a photographer, simply amazing. And for macro and nature I won’t take one name, as it would be unfair but there are a couple of Asian photographers who are simply amazing in macro photography.
What else are your hobbies except photography?
Hmm reading books, cooking and yes sports <3
You’ve got fame in a short time span how do you fell about it? 
It feels amazing mashallah when people come up to you and appreciate your work and recognize you in public. It’s just an amazing feeling. And it would be less even if I thank god a million times. =’)

Would you like to have interns with you? 
Yes pretty soon.
Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of?
Well there are two people and they are both alive. President Asif Ali zardari =P and Kivanc tetlitug aka Behlul.
Was photography your passion?
Yes right from the start.
What kind of shoots do you do most?
Portraiture and macro.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use? 
And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too. I use a canon 60d and Nikon d 7000 with a large variety of lenses right from vintage vivitar lenses to Canon L series lenses. For photo editing I use adobe Photoshop Cs 6 and adobe lightroom 4.These are 2 amazing softwares and I absolutely worship them. I believe everyone should know how to use their basic tools as simple changes can completely transform your images.
What do you think is there any scope for photography in Pakistan? 
Yes definitely there is a lot of scope for photography in Pakistan and I believe anyone who has good photography skills should pursue it professionally as most of the photographers here are into bridal photographer but there are very less macro, nature and landscape photographers.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family? 
My mom and dad.
Any person you would like to say thanks to?
Yes my mamu for giving me my very own first DSLR =’) and my friends for supporting me so much right from the start Its all because of their encouragement and support that I decided to pursue photography professionally.
Best event you have covered till now?
Well It’s yet to come.
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work?
Hmm there have been a lot of funny moments. But there’s this one embarrassing moment that I can’t forget. Once I was covering a school event and I was working since 7 hours right my HM called me to go take a picture of the chief guest who was a well-known actress. I was so exhausted that I forgot to take off the lens cap and I stood there trying to take a picture of the chief guest while she was posing without realizing that the cap was still on. I was all confused that why is the screen all black and suddenly my HM came up to me and was like “beta lens ka cover aapne utara nai”. And it was so embarrassing because the chief guest stood there thinking that I’m using the camera for the first time. =P after that event I always kept the lens cap off during the whole event to avoid any such incident =P
What are the other goals you have?
To become internationally recognized filmmaker and photographer.
Advise for beginners?
Take loads of pictures, don’t get scared, work on your crazy ideas it would make your photography more of “yours”, copying someone is good for learning but don’t steal someone else’s idea or pictures it’s the worst thing you can do.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
I don’t like predicting future as it is all in God’s hands but yes I’d like to see myself making Oscar winning movies and yes find my prince charming and settle down =P
Any message for your fans?
Life is short so enjoy it to the fullest its better to love and get loved rather than spread hatred. Peace /m\