Syed Israr Hussain Shah (Interview)

Name: Syed Israr Hussain Shah
Nickname: Israr Shah
D.O.B: 14th August 1985
Favorite dish: Desi dishes, Biryani for sure.
Give us a brief introduction about yourself.
My name is Israr Shah as mentioned above and I come from a very well-known and privileged family of Gillani’s. I was born and brought up in the city of Karachi and have a social circle of respected and humble people. Though I have been actively involved in my family business for the past 4 years, I have an undying passion for photography. I have the support of those around me, especially my wife who solemnly believes in my approach and will always stand by me no matter how unrealistic the dreams or how hard the path may get.
Study background? 
I have completed a bachelor’s degree BBA in Marketing from KASBIT University and am currently studying M.S from same institute in Human Resource Management.

Photography as a passion or just a hobby?
In the case of some people, it’s very easy to see where their passion lies, as they wear it on their sleeve. I take photography as a passion as calling it a hobby would kill the sole purpose of all the effort and energy I invest in making my images come to life. The word “passion” might cause many photographers to shy away, but it’s this feeling that comes through when others look at an image and walk away knowing they liked that photo more than similar shots they’ve seen. Without a passion for the photographic process, the photographer should put down the camera for good.
How did you got into photography stuff?
I love to capture moments that won't ever happen again. They might be happy or sad but important in my life. Another thing that inspires me is seeing an amazing photograph taken by someone I admire. Great photographs move me, so I'm happy to be an avid photographer hoping to produce my own moving images. I'm very lucky that the entire process of photography, planning what, where, when and how to capture an image and doing the post-processing is invigorating from beginning to end. My journey started with clicking Super Bikes of Karachi which we later formed a facebook page for naming Karachi Bikers.
Inspirations?
Though I appreciate the work of all the photographers out there, be it an expert or a learner, as I believe every one of them has something different to bring to the table. Every Good photographer is my inspiration. Every Good image inspires me and provokes the urge to click more.
What else are your hobbies except photography?
Photography as mentioned above is not a hobby. It is a passion and hopefully a career. My hobbies though involve keeping myself busy and surrounded by birds because I am a pet lover. I have a very good collection of birds I have imported from around the world.
You’ve got fame in a short time span how do you fell about it?
I feel very humbled and grateful to all those who appreciate my work and has given me the opportunity to be able to call myself a photographer when there are so many others out there who struggle to get to the point where I stand now.
Would you like to have interns with you?
I never hesitate to share my knowledge and techniques with the young guns who step into the photography world. I am always open and supportive to them and want them to learn everything I know so that they can click this world the way they want. It is an honor and a great experience for me to guide someone along my way and pass on a few tips. So yes, interns are always welcome.

Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of? 
It would be unfair to the rest of the world If I were to name just one person.
Was photography your passion?
Growing up I did not have any interest or passion for photography but there came a point at one stage where I realized I need to save moments, capture them, cherish them and remember them forever. That’s when I decided to give photography a chance. I gave it all I had and now I am having the time of my life as I can see I no more have to worry about the slipping moments. I can click them, capture them and make them immortal.
You mostly do wedding shoots ever thought of doing some other kind of shoots?
I do not confine myself to just one field. I have done all sorts of shoots, Wildlife, Sporting events, Fashion/Glamour, Celebrities, landscape and plant and flower portraiture but something I have not covered yet is underwater photography. I would love to do that someday hopefully.
What is important?
People say that Equipment doesn’t matter, to some extent I don’t agree to that. Equipment does matter and a Good camera will always give you Good result. 2nd I prefer good editing for you, if you are good at processing, it can bring charm into your pictures which you’ve clicked and by this you can differentiate your work from other who has got similar shots.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing softwares do you use? And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too.
Right Now I am using Canon 5D-Mark III along with some highly equipped lenses, and for processing I use Adobe Bridge / Raw Editor and also Adobe CS6 . As I shoot in RAW format, I process the image by adjusting its tone, exposure, colors, sharpness, and if needed I further process the image with Adobe Photoshop CS6 using plugins of NickSoftware such as (Viveza, ColoroEffex Pro, Silver Efex Pro)
What do you think is there any scope for photography in Pakistan?
I think there is infinite scope in Pakistan regarding any industry. But since photography is not limited to just one filed or area, I think there is a great scope of it in Pakistan only if we overcome the political and law situation.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer mum or dad?
My whole family is very supportive but one person after my mother I would like to name and give credit to is my beautiful wife. She is the inspiration behind everything I do and she is my biggest support, without her I don’t think I would be where I am now as a photographer.
Any person you would like to say thank to?
I would like to say a huge Thanks to all those people who support me in my passion, those who like my work and gives me remarks on each and every photo I take, be it negative or criticizing, as I have a firm believe that there is always more room for learning when criticized than praised. And I would like to thank specially Yasir Nisar (Photographer) for being always there to guide me and would like to thank my CANON GANG (they rock :) )
You are one of the top photographers of Pakistan how does it feel?
I do not consider myself at the top, it is just a start for me and I would like to see myself at the top but only when I would rightly deserve to.
Any moment when you were like I am the best photographer and you are leaving photography?
I don’t think there is any genuine photographer out there who would call him/herself the best photographer and then think of leaving the field. In photography either you leave it early, but once you get into it, You can never leave it.
Which,when,where were the best/interesting events you have covered till now?
I am very choosy in the events I cover hence I would call them all equally interesting enough. I do not credit my one shoot over the other, I give all of them my 100% and the outcome is for others to judge and rate.
One embarrassing and funny moment while you were on your work?
Haha, there was this Sports Photography Workshop organized by Canon Imaging Academy & by Yasir Nisar which I was hosting as well, and that day I covered whole event in JPG format (mistakenly) instead of RAW. When our Canon Gang members came to know, they did not leave even 1 sec of making fun of me, and I get the taunts till date :D.
What are the other goals you have?
I have not confined my goals at this stage because I see myself as a beginner. It is high time for me to learn from pro photographers and use that skill in the coming years.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
If the progress continues at the current rate, I see myself working with a few international photographers in the coming years. I do not want to limit my talent and work just to the local audience. I want to make Pakistan proud and will make all the efforts in my grasp to attend to as many international workshops as I possibly can. The goal is beyond the horizon. Let my passion take me where the sunrays fall.
Any message for your fans?
My message is to the fans of photography, not just mine. Please be appreciative to the upcoming photographers as it means the world to them. A small positive comment can be an inspiration to a photographer on a level that is beyond imagination. Constructive criticism helps in improving our work so keep that coming but never hesitate to be negative where needed. Photographers live in real world so we need real fans who can give us both negative and positive feedback.