Wali Shah (Interview)

Name: Wali Shah
Nickname: Flo
D.O.B: 1994.09.09
Favorite quote: “With great power comes great responsibility” – Peter Parker
Tell us a bit about yourself? 
18 Years young, Rapper, From Mississauga ON. Performed alongside… Jully Black, Kardinall Offishall, Danny Fernandes, Mia Martina, Tyler Mederios..
Inspirations?
Eminem, Immortal Technique, Tupac Shakur, RA The Rugged Man, AOTP/JMT, Joe Budden, Lazarus, Classified, SHAD,
Study background?
If you mean what I’m going to University for next year… University of Toronto – Social Science
What are your raps about?
Mostly socially conscience/political material. Very unlike the mainstream.
Have you ever performed in front of any audience? 
More times than I can count.
Who do you think is the living king of rap? 
Eminem (Mainstream) Immortal Technique (Underground)
Rapping? Define it in your own words? 
Poetry, just throw a beat in the background. [R]hythm [A]nd [P]oetry
Was your family supportive when you started rapping? 
Not at all. It was only until I started proving to them that I had potential by things like going on television, appearing in the newspapers, & doing shows that they really saw I had the talent. Coming from a South Asian background, your parents want you to become either a lawyer or a doctor; imagine having a conversation with your parents about being a rapper.

Any upcoming projects?
Just a couple videos here and there… Planning an EP with my boys Ryan & Nick for the summer though!
Why did you decide to rap? 
To channel the negative energy in me. At first this wasn’t a good outlet since it was very aggressive and negative in nature (As most hip hop is), but after a lot of life experience and mentorship from my peers and role models I decided to change that to channel my energy positively by aiming to help others through music.
Is there any message you consistently try to portray in your music? 
Social change without a doubt, but some topics which hit me personally are bullying, gang violence, and the effect the mainstream media has negatively, especially on youth.
If you got a record deal at this second, would you accept it?
No. I have had offers and was in the works of figuring things out but decided to pursue a post-secondary education as my first priority. I would
however, sign a deal with a Canadian label which would let me stay who I am as a person/artist as well allowing me to get my degree part-time while doing music.

That one rapper you would love to work with?
Eminem. Just because I’ve been a huge fan ever since day one, he has heart which other rappers could never match and I love his versatility. Some people might critique this and say, “Why not Tupac?” Well because Tupac could never fight the same battle Eminem did. I admire Tupac as a great rapper, but he wasn’t WHITE, divorced/remarried, fighting rehab twice, too broke to pay studio time/ living in one of the (arguably) hardest hoods in America, AND STILL RAPPING. Pac got it WAY easier, let’s be honest, he was black, he was rapping about all the things a black person wanted to hear, etc.. etc.. Now I don’t discredit him for his adversaries, but his music and his struggle doesn’t compare to Em’s. I love the fight Eminem put up.
Recently you released your song, which got really good audience response were you expecting this kind of response while you were in studios recording that song?
Somewhat. I knew it would be a good song to throw out to the public because it was catchy and the chorus was very well done but I don’t know if it’s one of my favorites. At one point in time I was even considering abandoning it as a project. Weird eh? Considering it’s gotten so much buzz now. I’m happy though. If I could change other peoples perspectives and lives I’m doing my job right.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
As a University grad, hopefully established as a rapper in Canada, as someone who has travelled a lot… maybe working as a teacher? Not really sure about my career path just yet. I’ll get back to you guys on that.
Views about lespecra?
Going to be honest, I just googled that and I still don’t know what it is LOL! J

No comments:

Post a Comment