Aleena Saeed (Interview)


Name: Aleena Saeed
Nickname: Neena
D.O.B: October 22, 1991
Favorite quote: People recognize true love by the light in their eyes. Paulo Coelho
Tell us a bit about yourself?
Well I am a student of earth sciences, a fashion freak and I LOVE to travel and take pictures of landscapes, cultural diversity and people (in their true colors).
Study/Professional background?
Mmm … I am currently doing my bachelors in Earth Sciences. Its my final semester.
What kind of gear do you use?
* Camera body – Canon EOS 600 D
* Lens – at the moment I only make use of the kit lens, EFS 18-55mm
* Tripod - none
* Filters – none, didn’t feel the need as of yet
* Flash – built in, mostly I shoot without a flash!
* Camera bag – The EOS bag
Which is your favorite lens? Why? 
I haven’t used any other lens other than my Kit lens for now because right now photography is only a part time thing, A HOBBY. But I prefer macro lenses and will soon get my hands on those J
When you go in one of your travels, what all you take with you? Why?
I always take my cam with me. No matter where I am going. Also I take some necessities of the 21st gen i.e. my cell phone and quality music, a notebook and pen (to doodle) and a good book.

Which was you first professional camera, which model? And can you recommend any good camera for beginners?
The EOS 600D IS my first pro cam. Before this (last year) I used my cell phone’s camera or other point and shoot cameras. For beginners I’d recommend Canon EOS xsi
What is your favourite photography accessory, other than your camera? 
Mmm …. My cellphone’s camera was superb. Unfortunately I ruined it L this might not sound like an accessory but I always try to ADD something to my photos that gives a sense of scale
If you had to choose one lens which one would it be and why?
It would be without a doubt EOS 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens !!! because I already told u, I love close ups and macros. DETAILS and MORE Details
What is your favourite computer/editing accessory, other than your computer?
Adobe Photoshop and Photoscape are simply the best !
How important is Photoshop in your final images? 
I only use it to add watermarks or add distortions or remove some content due to privacy issues .
Do you plan on buying any new equipment and if so what do you have your eyes on?
Well I really wanna buy a new lens. I mean the kit lens does the basics but If u want to take ur skills to the next level, u need to have the proper gear. I plan on buying a telephoto zoom lens so as to add more to my cam’s focal length (MORE ZOOMING) !
Do you have an assistant/2nd shooter that accompanies you on assignments you get? 
No one in particular
Have you ever had anything go wrong at a wedding and if so, how did you handle it? 
I once photographed at a relative’s wedding. Nothing went wrong, only I ran out of the film :D !!! and the bride’s sister was sad at the part that I shot only a few pictures :D

What is your greatest fear?
Of letting go of my own style and working under the styles of others.
Something you’re saving up for?
Mm yes but that is not related to photography …
How long did it take to reach where he you are now?
Well I used to take pictures since quite some time now, but my family and friends told me to let people see my skills and so I guess it took me a year J alkhamdulillah
What else are your hobbies except photography?
Uuhh doodling, reading novels, painting abstracts, travelling and yes Sleeping :D
One thing that always grabs your attention and makes you takes a picture of it? Moments, Whenever I take a picture of something that catches my eye, it is because I want to preserve that moment forever.
Best thing a fan ever said to you and it made your day? 
Well yeah, a friend actually, she saw my photography and said “ Aleena I don’t know when I am getting married but whenever I do and to whom ever I get married to I want u to make my day special” this was before I had publically showed my photography. After this another friend said “Aleena yar tum please meri wedding photography kro, may Irfan Ahson ko bhool jaungi” THIS was a MAJOR compliment.
Ever faced any downfalls after your took photography as a profession and how did you overcome those downfalls? 
I haven’t face any downfalls yet alkhamdulillah but even if I do I am sure that insha Allah I’ll pull myself out.
What do you think is photography a risky profession? Why? 
Well it is. MANY people have privacy issues. They can create a mess for you. ALSO, a person gets paranoid over the fear of getting his/her photographs being stolen off the internet. AND the constant bugger of not satisfying ur customer. THIS REALLY GETS A PERSON CRANKY
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work? With me work is 90% fun. Even today something funny happened. I was to take pictures of a new jewellery designer’s collection. As I was merging and jumbling up her items, She seemed crossed k yar tum kya fazzool combination bana rahi ho :D I kept on bugging her until I got what I wanted and when the results came she was like See I told u to mix and match :D but tum photographer kisi ki b nhi suntay :D
Among the gadgets that you own, is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? Why? Nope, no regrets
In the field, what are your settings?
* Aperture –5.0
* Shutter Speed – 1/60 mostly
* ISO – 100, 200 for daylight and for the night shoots (starry sky) 3200
* White Balance – According to the scene
* Focus – Manual/Auto MANUAL !!!
* Image Format – RAW/JPEG JPEG mostly
What kind of tools do you use for post processing? Explain your work flow? I try to take pictures and keep them as they are, I only post process them if they really lack what they should have. PHOTOSHOP!
How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? 
Its not about educating myself. Its more of inspiring myself. When I get inspired, I take a picture, I compose shots, see what it should have and what it should not and instead off reading tips and stuff I try to TAKE better picture? How? CLICK CLICK.
Among your works, which one is your favorite? Why? 
There are a few pictures of Landscapes I took which I simply LOVE because nobody compelled me to do so. I did not have to compose the scene or add elements to the picture, everything was there and I only had to capture those beautiful moments the right way.
Whose work has influenced you most? In terms of wedding photography Rammal Memud’s. If I talk about landscape photography, a Norwegian photographer Faris Abbas
What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos?
In the very beginning of this journey, I could not get the hang of shutter aperture settings. THAT bugged me A LOT. I wish I knew back then better, aura achi pics aati.
In your opinion, what makes photography an art? 
The ability of a photographer to capture something ordinary yet his/her styles makes it unique J
What motivates you to do what you do? Satisfaction. When I capture what I really want to, I feel deeply satisfied and happy.
Why is Photography important to you?
My mom loves photography. I don’t know why but I really LOVE to take pictures, to keep a record of moments, times and to recall the memories when I feel nostalgic.
Any message for your fans? 
Thankyou for being SO supportive. I am just a newbie in the PHOTOGRAPHY realm and I really need the appreciation and support from all of those who like/love my work.
Thoughts on lespectra?
 LeSpectra is a medium to highlight the fresh emerging talent of our youth. It gives people an opportunity to introduce themselves to others without any formalities or fazool k lambay khaatay :D keep up the good work

No comments:

Post a Comment