Fatima Baqi (Interview)

Name: Fatima Baqi
Nickname: Fatima
D.O.B: 31 May
Favorite dish: Lamb roast, mixed vegetables, Nihari.
Favorite quote:  "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down".
Give us a brief introduction about yourself.
I am a self taught, first female professional studio photographer of Peshawar, NWFP (2000-2010).Currently residing and working in London as a wedding photographer. I am a warm person by nature who loves travelling, gadgets, music, cars, cinema, Bollywood movies and poetry. Believe in hard work and humbleness.
Study/professional background?
Did MSc Psychology from Peshawar University and chose photography as a profession.  Being only female photographer in the field was beneficial and a tough job at the same time.  At that time there was no institute to learn and I chose “learning by doing” method. I have done thousands of bridal and couple shoots during these years and this journey have never stopped. Currently I am loving my experience of working with best wedding photographers of London.  Member of “Society of wedding & portrait photographers”.  It feels good to have a chance to learn new skills by attending photography seminars with world’s  recognized photographer.
How did you got into photography stuff?
when I was a child, I saw a portrait shot of someone, it was taken with an SLR camera, it suddenly got my attention and unlike me, I asked them if I can keep it.  I was always curious why it is different than other pictures taken by normal cameras.  My curiosity developed my interest in photography.  National Geographic magazine was an early inspiration.  Eventually it became my hobby and during studies, I was frequently approached by students to do their photo shoots.  That led me to be a professional photographer.
What type of photography attracts you the most?
Bridal shoots, landscape, travel and macro photography are my main interests.
Would you like to have interns with you?
Unlike Pakistan, while working in Europe, I have realized that people are open about sharing knowledge and I have started believing that teaching others is learning twice.  I would be pleased to guide interns whenever I visit Pakistan and share my experience and knowledge.  I will keep on updating my Facebook page about such plans.
Who is that one person you would like to do or dying to do photo-shoot of?
It will not be a person I am sure. I want to photograph Tibetan Monasteries, Palaces of Udaipur, Flying Chinese paper lanterns, Santorini Island in Greece,  Ariel view of  Himalaya, Northern Lights in Norway, Petra in Jordan, Antoni Gaudi’s structures in Spain, White tigers, Polar bears and much more.  I just realized I must join National Geographic :)

Was photography your passion?
Yes, it has always been.  I am kind of obsessed with camera and taking pictures.
You were the first female professional photographer in NWFP, what made you go for photography?
I never thought it will become a profession when I used to do it as a hobby in College and University life.  I must say my clients and friends encouraged me to adopt  it as a profession. People always tell me, “You make us look beautiful”.  They loved my work and I became the most busiest photographer in town.  I really miss working in Peshawar.  I dream of going back some day and enjoy the same warmth in the atmosphere. This time I am looking forward to expand my boundaries to Lahore & Islamabad.
What kind of shoots do you do most?
Mostly wedding and travel photography.
Let’s get a bit technical which cameras and editing software’s do you use? And it would be really great if you give a short review about it too.
Mark ii 5D,
24-70mm f2.8
24-105mm f4
70-200mm f2.8
100mm f2.8
50mm
Diffuse it
Adobe Lightroom 4
I mainly use 24-70 for wedding coverage, I love its functionality.  Lightroom is best for organizing , handling and editing file.  Occasional manipulations with Adobe Photoshop are additional charm.
Who has been most supportive while you were becoming a Photographer from your family?
Unfortunately no one,  because in our society it was not acceptable for a  female to choose it as career.  My dad wanted me to join Civil Services, but I feel fortunate to choose my hobby as profession.  Some one said “Choose what you love doing, and you will never work a day in your life”.  I remember my brother saying “You are always on Holidays” and that's because I never had a boss.
Any one  you would like to say thank to?
First of all I am thankful to Allah because without his blessings, I could never achieve whatever I have today.
I am thankful to my father who bought me my first SLR camera, my friends who were always there to support and encourage me.
Best event you have covered till now?
I had few interesting experiences while covering foreign weddings.  Like in a Nigerian wedding, I saw groom’s family bowing in front of bride’s family and Tea tradition in Chinese wedding, where bride & groom serves Tea to almost every guest, eating from same Thaali in Bengali weddings, 7 Phairay in Hindu weddings are not actually that short how they look on Tv, Sikh wedding rituals and someone asking me to cover my head following “Sat Sri Akal” in Gravesden Temple while shooting, English wedding shoot at Hedsor House, Arab’s way of greeting the bride & groom by making a specific sound called Ululation.
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work?
When someone asks with a surprised face, “ Are YOU Fatima Baqi”?  I kind of find it funny and embarrassing at the same time.
Your hobbies?
I am a gadget freak. Love poetry, Urdu literature and fond of cats.
What are the other goals you have?
Film making.
Advise for beginners?
Hard work and dedication always pay off.  There is no short cut to success.  Always share your knowledge, it grows when you share it. Client’s satisfaction is more valuable than the money they pay.  If you love photography, go out and take loads of photos, do experiment, check photography websites regularly, listen to relevant podcast.  If you have any question regarding photography, you are welcome to ask me on my Facebook page.
Where do you see yourself in next few years?
I see myself as an internationally recognized female photographer from Pakistan.
Any message for your fans?
Keep appreciating good work and efforts as appreciation nourishes growth.  Dream big and follow your dream.  Nothing is impossible when you are determined.
Photography is form of art and an artist is nothing without recognition.  I am really thankful for all your love and trust you had in me over the years. Your encouragement and confidence in me kept me growing.
Thoughts on Le spectra.
There have always been a need of a platform where talent can be promoted and I am pleased to say Lespectra is doing a very good job in representing Pakistani talent.
I wish Lespectra success and  global recognition.