Shammal Qureshi (Interview)

When and where were you born, and where were you schooled?
I was born in Karachi August 9th 1982, the year of the dog in the Chinese calendar. I’m a Leo. I went to CAS when I was a kid, and then I was in Bay View High. After that I went to Le’cole in Karachi, and finally I was in the UWO (University of Western Ontario) in Canada. After that I got my hairdressing training from London at the T&G New Oxford Street Academy. I was there for three years, though my education was only 1 year. After that I worked two years at [the] T&G Salon in Sloane Square.
       When did you first realize you wanted to become a hair stylist and how did you start it?
I was in London with my mother and father and I remember we were walking around Christopher place. And I saw some really cool looking guys and girls walk out onto the street. One of them turned around and she had Toni&Guy on her T-shirt and I just casually said, you know, why don’t I become a hair stylist. My mum turned to me and said, ‘Why not.” That was that.
       What do your parents do and what was your family life like?
I grew up with a Malaysian mother and a Pakistani father in a very open minded family setting. As well as them being my parents I always regarded them as friends too.  I was quite rebellious growing up and my parents always had the patience to deal with me. I have one sister and we’re very close.
My mom is also a hairdresser in Karachi, and she’s been running Peng’s hair and beauty salon for 32 years. My dad owns a business and we distribute various hair care and beauty brands like Label M. My sister is currently the Marketing Manager for the spa division of the Kempinski Hotel in LA, but she’s planning on coming back and taking over the reins of my mother’s salon.
 How challenging was it for you to go for this profession as you were working for GLAXO SMITH KLINE (GSK) and, on a radio station (City fm89)?
This was my passion so when I had the chance and I had done the preliminary spadework it was the natural decision. I was never cut out for stiff jobs working according to someone else’s priorities. It was the next step and I took it. I miss doing the radio show though.
How difficult is it to create new ideas every year? Where do you get the inspiration from?
I recently wrote an article that was published in the Express Tribune Magazine describing how we go about the process of inspiration and getting our ideas down. But inspiration itself is something very personal and can come from anything. I find inspiration in beautiful artwork, architecture nature and people. Looking at great beauty inspires me and the wonderful thing is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
How do you feel the fashion/beauty industry can make a difference to the economy of the country and what role does the bridal industry have to play within this?
Bridal fashion is something unique to our culture. It is something that the subcontinent has been doing for centuries and it is something that we do extremely well.  This is a big advantage to our industry because locally we have a thriving industry and internationally – thanks to the help of platforms like PFDC -we can really start exporting this beautiful rich culture.
Which type of hair is trickier to handle do you think, girls or boys?
That’s a tough one. On an average I’d say it’s harder to do women’s hair simply because there’s more of it, more ways it can be done and women are picky about what they want more than men are. That said, there are some men who are extremely difficult and want exactly what they imagine, even if it isn’t really possible. It’s an individual thing but by and large more hair is harder.
What are your trend predictions for the upcoming bridal/wedding season 2012-2013?
There are a few really hot trends this year for bridals. Braids are really back with a bang, but this time with a more romantic feel. From Fish tail buns to braid bands. Anything goes as look as it keeps the romance alive. 60’s glam is also really in, with Big Volume and glamorous curls for that classic/timeless look. Since winter is on the way, we predict dramatic smoky eyes to come back into fashion. From a dramatic smoky effect to a softer highlighted eye. Soft champagne and a brown, or a purple smoky eye is really popular this year. Vintage styles are always essential to any bridal season but this year when going vintage, be sure to give it a modern touch so it doesn’t look too dated. Shades of vintage red and wines really give that old Hollywood/Bollywood feel with dramatic eyelashes.
Coming up to the makeup, what type of makeup you prefer for night events 
and day time events?
I’m not a fan of dark make up at night. Make up should be bold and bright, it should attract attention without looking gaudy. I like silvers and blues for night and lighter pinks and oranges for the day. Nudes are really in nowadays and that can work for the day or the night but it depends on the kind of clothes you’re wearing and where you plan to wear it. These are important factors when deciding on make-up.  
 A perfect style matters a lot when it’s about overall look. Your opinion on that?
You have to coordinate what you’re going to wear and dress appropriate to the situation and the impression you want to create but I think YSL put it best when he said that ‘Fashion fades but style is eternal’. Whatever your style, if that’s what you’re comfortable with, that’s what will work for you. It’s good to get outside your comfort zone and experiment but always remember who you are in your self-expression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment