Umair Jaswal (Interview)

Tell us a bit about yourself?
Ans : I am Umair Jaswal. I am 26 years old, and I am the vocalist, lyricist and partly I do songwriting in a band called Qayyas.
How did u guys came under the banner of Qayyas?
Ans : Basically I was in a band called Silver Smoke earlier then this and Khurram was in a band called Numb. There was this recording for a music channel, we met at the jamming session and it was taking place at the Khurram's studios.So that is when I and Khurram first met, right away he wanted to work with me and he was pretty much interested because he was looking for a vocalist for a long time. Then one day he called me over and said lets work on something fresh (a more like an acoustic thing).Further on instead of acoustic it started sound like more bigger and bigger. That is where me and Khurram together we formed Qayyas.

What are your views about our music talent working across the border?
Ans : Well it’s a great market to tap in first of all. It’s a huge population, a population which is divided by a border line, other than that there is no heart difference between the kind of people that exist in India and Pakistan. Second of all you only seem that we don’t see from Bollywood that we say that is, is the rock music scene, and it’s a pretty strong scene in India right now. Bangalore was the rock capital in India. And it’s a huge audience, we’d love to go there but keeping our sound in real. And yes making music for Bollywood movies, I don’t even mind that because that’s their kind of music. If someone comes up to us and tell us that u don’t have to change your sound and give us a sound track for a movie, I’d love doing that, because I am already doing that for a movie in Pakistan!
How was your first concert experience?
Ans : Basically it was not more of a concert it was a small gig, that I did in a place called Civil Junction. That was the first time I performed in front of a crowd, it was not a big crowd actually it was like 25 people. I still remember, remembering the lyrics to the last minute and my legs were shaking. After that gig for the first time I realized that "I need to be bigger than this".
Where do we see Qayyas, let’s say in next Five years"
Ans : aaaa, probably next five years if we'll be alive that is..(Giggles). Qayyas having at least 4 albums under their belt. And u'll see both English and Urdu albums. And yes much more live playing internationally.
RAPID FIRE ROUND:
What do you say about YASIR JASWAL?
Amazing.
What do you say about UZAIR JASWAL?
Exceptionally talented.
What do you say about UMAIR JASWAL?
Still finding.

Whose more talented? Yasir, Umair or Uzair?
Yasir.
What do you say about Coke Studio?
A great platform.
What’s music for you?
Everything.
What inspires you to jot down lyrics?
Everything.
Describe Qayyas?
Everything..HAHAHAHA!!
Metal, Rock or Pop?
Rock
Crowd/Audience?
Crazy.
Any comments about Le Spectra?
You guys are providing a great platform to the youth; It’s a very good thing that you guys are encouraging young people and exposing more and more talent in Pakistan specially Islamabad. Wishes for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment