Sher Ali Khan (Interview)


Name: Sher Ali Khan
Nickname: Sheroo
D.O.B: 7th Dec ‘83
Favorite quote:  "When you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes; but when you photograph people in Black & White, you photograph their souls" - Ted Grant
Tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m originally from Pakistan. Been based in Sydney for the past 5 years, and I love Photography & Music.
Study/Professional background? Masters in Marketing from the University of Sydney. Worked in Advertising – Saatchi & Saatchi.
What kind of gear do you use?
* Camera body – Nikon D5000
* Lens – Nikon 50mm 1.4G, Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8.
* Tripod – Manfrotto.
* Filters - -
* Flash – Nikon Sb600, Nikon Sb900
* Camera bag – LowePro Runner X350.
* Mention others, if any.
* Which is your favorite lens? Nikon 50mm 1.4G Why? Because its amazing; the difference that lower F-point can have on an image.
When you go in one of your travels, what all you take with you? 
Everything mentioned above; and more Why? Because as a photographer, you never know what you’re going to encounter and when you’re going to encounter it – so might as well be as prepared as possible.
Which was your first professional camera, which model? And can you recommend any good camera for beginners?
It’s a very basic model but the Nikon D5000 has been my first and only DSLR till date – I thought it makes more sense to invest in lenses at the stage I’m at.
What or who got you started in wedding photography?
No one in particular. Weddings are just one of the many subjects/events I cover.
What is your favourite photography accessory, other than your camera?
Anything that shapes light - i’d say my soft-box.
If you had to choose one lens which one would it be and why? Nikon 50mm 1.4G.
What is your favourite computer/editing accessory, other than your computer?
Photoshop.
How important is Photoshop in your final images?
Extremely. None of my images go anywhere before going through Photoshop.
Do you plan on buying any new equipment and if so what do you have your eyes on?
Need to upgrade my camera body, got my eyes on a couple of Nikon bodies.
Do you have an assistant/2nd shooter that accompanies you on wedding assignments?
I hire help when required.
Have you ever had anything go wrong at a wedding and if so, how did you handle it?
Nothing major yet, luckily. But controlling light in different situations is always a challenge.
What is your greatest fear? 
My gear malfunctioning during a shoot. Or my hard-drive crashing.
Something you’re saving up for? 
A new camera body.
How long did it take to reach where he you are now?
3-4 years – I bought my first DSLR in 2009.
What else are your hobbies except photography?
Music – I have an acoustic and know a couple of guitar chords, so that’s what I turn to when I’m tired of editing hundreds of images at a stretch.
One thing that always grabs your attention and makes you take a picture of it? 
The human face.
Best thing a fan ever said to you and it made your day? 
There’s been a few – can’t pin-point just one. But I’m lucky to have a decently responsive following.
Ever faced any downfalls after you took photography as a profession and how did you overcome those downfalls? 
Nothing in particular.
What do you think is photography a risky profession? Why?
Not in particular – I think its as risky as any other profession that involves working with/depending on technology. Although as a street/wildlife Photographer you could end up in areas/situations that aren’t recommended to be in alone, carrying such expensive gear.
One embarrassing /funny moment while you were on your work?
This would probably be more scary/dangerous than funny, but I’ve been approached/threatened and asked to delete photos by a group of Lebanese guys while out taking pictures in the inner suburbs of Sydney, Australia.
Is there something that you wish you hadn’t bought? Why? 
Not really. You can never have enough gear.
In the field, what are your settings?
* Aperture – varies.
* Shutter Speed – varies.
* ISO – 200-400
* White Balance – Auto (usually)
* Focus – Manual/Auto - Auto
* Image Format – RAW/JPEG - RAW

What kind of tools do you use for post processing? Explain your work flow.
Photoshop – colour/tone correction. Cleaning-up. Adding a tone/feel that I think suits each individual image.
How do you educate yourself to take better pictures?
By studying light and how it affects subjects.
Among your works, which one is your favorite? Why? 
Probably my Portrait work – because I think the eyes/other facial features speak a language of their own - and capturing that fascinates me.
Whose work has influenced you most? 
These are some photographer’s whose work has inspired me before/since I got into photography myself. Mobeen Ansari - Portraiture, Fayyaz Ahmed – Fashion, Dario Milano – Food; to name a few. My friend Danish Farid is an excellent photographer himself and was my first point of help/contact when I bought my DSLR. Also another great friend and mentor Mujtaba Hussain Shah, has been a constant source of photography knowledge/guidance for me over the years.
What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos?
Its never too late – but I just wish I’d started it earlier.
What did you do to gain so much knowledge in this area?
I really wouldn’t say my photography knowledge is anything to boast about. In fact I’d say its pretty non-existent compared to someone who’s actually professionally studied the art-form. There’s a lot I have to learn.
In your opinion, what makes photography an art? 
The skill and creativity involved in it.
What motivates you to do what you do? 
Light.
When did your career start?
2009.
Why is Photography important to you? 
It’s changed my life and how I look at things around me.
Who or what influenced you to become a photographer? 
I grew up watching my father being a very keen photographer himself, so im sure that had an influence. There are countless memories of us getting together as a family and watching slide-shows over the projector of the images he’d taken over the years. But my wife Moniba, is the one I owe for getting me into Photography as I am today. I was very satisfied shooting stuff with my 2-mega-pixel Sony Eriksson k750i mobile phone camera. I didn’t think I had the time/patience to lug around a DSLR, but it was her idea to buy me one as a surprise. Eventually it turned out to be too technical a purchase not to involve me in it - so she let me in on the plan – and I can very easily say its one of the best things anyone has ever done for me.
Do you believe in the expression “A picture is worth 1,000 words”? Most definitely.
If yes, why do you believe this is true?
Because an image can convey so much more than words can at times.
If someone said ‘how can I be the next sher?’ What would you say?
I’d say forget it; it ain’t happening. Haha, no but in all seriousness I’d say, there’s no point in being the next ‘Sher’. Aim to go beyond anyone else and make your own mark in whatever field you pursue.
Message for the fans?
Thank you for the support! Keep following/supporting quality work when and where ever you see it.
Views about lespectra?
Lespectra is doing a great job providing upcoming/established artists an opportunity to express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment