Naseer Afridi (Interview)

Name: Naseer Afzal Afridi
Nickname: None
D.O.B: 13-03-91
Favorite quote: For me, singing sad songs often has a way of healing a situation. It gets the hurt out in the open into the light, out of the darkness. Reba McEntire
Tell us a bit about yourself and naseer and shahaab?
Just a regular boy who wants to make history, it’s going to take time and I know that, patience and consistency is all I have. Naseer & Shahab is our brainchild and we have big plans for it. No matter if we make mainstream or what, this band will be remembered for what it did for music, I can bet you on that, and when we say that, we know what we are talking about. Inclined towards Soft/alternative rock but we’ll keep experimenting with the sound as it evolves. Initially started off in Pashto but we have projects in other languages as well. Shahab is a volume of experiences himself and they are a must know for a person who wants to learn and mature as a musician. This way, I’ve challenged myself to come up to his expectations and together with our pros and cons, we make Naseer & Shahab.
Inspirations?
Alter Bridge, Linkinpark, 30stm, 12 stones, 3 days grace, Military, random people.

Being a musician was it a dream? 
I don’t know, you never remember dreams. All I know is that I found my escape here and I do actually want to escape.
Your song Za Sta Pashan Na Yam a great hit and was on the charts aswell, while you were making this song were you expecting this kind of response?
No, it was focused for a much targeted audience, a punk loving audience. I am glad to know it was loved by people and reaped us good critics. It’s a kind of song you can experiment in many different ways; I tried a acoustic version of it that was loved by lots of people, now we think of a piano version of it, just for the sake of knowing what’s so good about it.
Which genre do you prefer singing and why does it suites you?
I believe you evolve, from hard head bangers to soft rock, where you find your home. Inclined towards hard rock in the first but ended up singing into a softer side of it. I feel home here, I feel good here but I believe I will move from here one day, and find my home somewhere else. I’ll experiment with that.
You have also been seen in a short film, do you have interest in acting as well? 
Yeah, a little bit. I was always inspired by Military movies and all. It made me live what I could not live in the real world. Acting in the type of roles I love, I feel like I am living my real world. The world I wanted and the way I wanted myself there, I am the real Naseer Afridi when I act in a role I like.
You guys don't sing Urdu songs too much, is there a specific reason? 
Only because there is no other rock act in Pashto. If we go to Urdu, who’s going to take care of Pashto? It has a lot of potential in itself. One reason why we started singing in this language (Which itself is not an easy job) is because there was no one else to take a stand for it. Pashto was alone, ignored, hurt and portrayed wrong. We have a few Urdu songs lined up by the way, the fans need to wait for the updates.
Rumors are that you have been featured in Qayaas's upcoming album 'cut my wings' what's your role in it and what do you have to say regarding it?
(This is not the album name) Who knows, good things have happened in the world, you can never lose hope on the good things can you? Wait and see.

Two songs are lined up on your schedule; tell us a bit about them? What are they about and when would they be released? 
Two songs, yes. GHALTI MEIN SHTA, the song would say a lot by itself. I’ll not ruin it for people. It’s just around the corner TBH. The other one is MERAY YAAR, its for the special people in your life, people who have the ability to change your life when they are no more. It’ll take some time.
Thoughts on:
Shahaab: Shahab, simply put, he is a Musical genius. If there is a bunch of crowd and you tell them to share ideas, I’d recognize shahab by the fact that the most wicked and amazing one would come from him. A person who trusted in me when no one else did, he has all my respects for that.
Umair jaswal:  If I’ve a list of top 5 vocals in this world that I like, you’ll find Umair in it. A man who is made all by himself, he inspires a lot of people including me.
Shamoon: My jigger if put simply, the versatile musician I’ve ever seen. A TORU OF BIG GAMES HAHA. He has a lot of potential once he knows what he’s doing. We used to jam in the streets back when we were kids, grew together, know each other inside out.
Shaheer: The most shareef person ever HAHA. He is one talented boy and a gem of a person that I’ve ever come across and to be honest, he is the guy that has helped me a lot in my musical career.
How does it feels to be somewhat famous? It was a wish turned into regret. Only one thing to say, it’s not what it looks like. I thank Allah for whatever he has bestowed upon me, but I pray he gives me the courage to handle it with care as well.

Dreams? 
Dreams are nothing, you forget them. All I value is Dreaming when you are awake, dreaming those little pieces, that’s what you want to be, go grab them. That’s a vision, formulate a plan and go by it, achieve what you dream in a boring class. That’s where your home is.
What are your thoughts on underground talent in isb?
Lots of talent has emerged but at a cost of quality. I see lots of bands and singers coming in but just a piece of advice do what you are good at and don’t pretend to be something you are not. Keep a vision and know visualize where you are going to be in the next year and make sure you work for it. Find your strengths, use them and exploit them. The best bands and musicians in the world have always come out of the underground, if you complete the journey, you will too, lets hope we do too.
If you were too feature one female vocalist for your song who would it be? 
Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries)
Define love? 
It makes you kind, it makes you, it breaks you, it shows you the right path.
Any message for your fans?
Keep supporting indie artists in any way possible. We are doing music for the sake of it, I know you wouldn’t even care, but at least I did my job in telling you to do so.
Views about lespectra? 
I’m glad youngsters are out there with new ideas, I pray this idea turns into a big success. Keep doing the great work.

No comments:

Post a Comment